Non-Profit & Charity Law
BrazeauSeller.LLP provides assistance to clients across Canada and internationally on all aspects of not-for-profit and charity law.
We support individuals and families in establishing and maintaining private foundations as part of their charitable strategies, and we assist larger groups in the establishment of public foundations. We also guide foundations through the process of obtaining registered charity status.
For persons who want to carry on charitable activities, we help determine what legal structure is appropriate (i.e., an association or a not-for-profit corporation), then create that structure and apply for registered charity status.
BrazeauSeller.LLP offers specialized advice for charitable organizations, not-for-profit corporations and foundations, helping them comply with complex legal and regulatory requirements. As a broad-based business law firm, we are also able to help in a wide variety of other issues, be it signing a lease, employing staff or obtaining a trade-mark.
Our services include:
• Advising members, directors/trustees, and officers of charitable organizations and
foundations regarding such matters as:
• Associations with other charities
• Corporate structure and governance
• Directors and officers liability
• Employment issues
• Human rights issues
• Insurance issues
• Legal compliance
• Policy development
• Risk management
• Strategic planning
• Tax issues
• Church law, including:
• Agency and joint ministry agreements
• Church discipline
• Denominational structures and relations
• Incorporating an existing church
• Drafting constitutions, by-laws and policies
• Establishment of charitable organizations by constitution or incorporation
• Establishment of private trusts by deed or incorporation
• Establishment of public foundations
• Litigation counsel
Our Non-Profit & Charity Law Team